UBER FREIGHT PRIVACY STATEMENT
Updated: February 3, 2017
Uber Freight LLC (“Uber Freight”) collects information about you when you use the Uber Freight mobile applications and website(s) (collectively, the “Services”), and through other interactions and communications you have with us in connection with the Services. This includes collection at the time you download an Uber Freight app, use an Uber Freight website, create or register your Uber Freight app account, and when you otherwise use the Services.
Scope and Application
Collection of Information
Information You Provide to Us
We collect information you provide directly to us, such as when you create, modify, or log in to your account, request support from or otherwise communicate with us, and if you interact with the Services as a commercial driver, submit your driver’s license, submit information about your vehicle or insurance, or otherwise communicate with us. This information may include: name, email, phone number, postal address, profile picture, payment information, vehicle registration information, insurance information, driver’s license information, and other information you may choose to provide.
Information We Collect Through Your Use of the Services
Depending on how you use the Services, we may collect information about you in the following general categories:
- Location Information (commercial drivers and carriers only): Use of the Services requires collection of commercial drivers’ precise location data. If you (as a commercial driver) grant the Uber Freight app permission to access location services through the permission system used by your mobile operating system (“platform”), we will collect the precise location of your device. We may also derive your approximate location from your IP address or phone number. We may also receive information about your location from third parties.
- Device Information: We may collect information about the device you use to access the Uber Freight app, including, for example, the hardware model, operating system and version, software and file names and versions, preferred language, unique device identifier, advertising identifiers, serial number, device motion information, and mobile network information.
- Photos: If you permit the Uber Freight app to access the camera on your device via the permission system used by your platform, we will enable you to take and upload to the Uber Freight app or websites photos of bills of ladings, freight and other matters directly related to the Services.
- Transaction Information: We collect transaction details related your use of the Services, including the type of Service, the date and time you used the Service, payment amounts, distance traveled, and other related transaction details.
- Call and SMS Data: Our Services facilitate communications between Users, including telephone calls or SMS messages. In connection with facilitating this service, we may receive call data, including the date and time of the call or SMS message, the parties’ phone numbers, and the content of the SMS message.
- Log Information: When you interact with the Services, we collect server logs, which may include information like device IP address, access dates and times, app features or pages viewed, app crashes and other system activity, type of browser, and the third-party site or service you were using before interacting with the Services.
Important Information About Platform Permissions
Most mobile platforms (iOS, Android, etc.) have defined certain types of device data that apps cannot access without your consent. These platforms have different permission systems for obtaining your consent. The iOS platform will alert you the first time the Uber app wants permission to access certain types of data and will let you consent (or not consent) to that request. Android devices will notify you of the permissions that the Uber Freight app seeks before you first use the app, and your use of the app constitutes your consent.
The permissions requested by the Uber Freight include permission to collect your location data for the purposes described above. This permission will enable Uber Freight to collect your location data, even when the app is not running in the foreground or background of your device. You will not be able to use the Uber Freight app if you do not permit location data collection.
Please note that turning off the app may not result in disabling Uber Freight’s ability to collect your location data. To disable the Uber Freight’s ability to collect your location data:
- On iOS: Settings → Privacy → Location Services → Uber → choose “Never”
- On Android: Settings → Apps → Uber Freight → scroll to “Permission” → toggle “Location”
- On Android Lollipop (5.1) and earlier: Settings → Location → toggle Off
Information We Collect From Other Sources
We may also receive information from other sources and combine that with information we collect through the Services. For example:
- If you are a commercial driver, we may receive information about you from the carrier or from third parties.
- If you are a commercial driver, we may receive information about your from other Users such as carriers or shippers, or from third parties. This includes information about your location, or driver rating or similar ratings of the services that you provide for such Users through the Uber Freight app.
- If you are a commercial driver or carrier, we might receive information about you from the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration, or other regulatory bodies involved in the regulation of carriers.
- If you choose to link, create, or log in to your Uber Freight app account with a payment provider (e.g., Google Wallet) or social media service (e.g., Facebook), or if you engage with a separate app or website that uses our API (or whose API we use), we may receive information about you or your connections from that site or app.
- If you also interact with other Uber products and services, for instance to request on demand services through other Uber apps, we may combine or associate that information with information we have collected from you in your capacity as a User.
Use of Information
We may use the information we collect about you to:
- Provide, maintain, and improve the Services, including, for example, to facilitate payments, send receipts, provide products and services (and send related information), develop new features, provide customer support, develop safety features, authenticate Users, and send product updates and administrative messages.
- Track the status and location of shipments transported through the Services, and to determine other information relating to your use of the Services such as period of usage.
- Perform internal operations, including, for example, to prevent fraud and abuse of the Services; to troubleshoot software bugs and operational problems; to conduct data analysis, testing, and research; and to monitor and analyze usage and activity trends.
- Send or facilitate communications between you and other users of the Services, such as estimated deliver arrival and delivery times.
- Send you communications we think will be of interest to you, including information about products, services, shipments, promotions, news, and events of Uber Freight and other companies, where permissible and according to local applicable laws.
- Personalize and improve the Services, including to provide or recommend features, content, social connections, referrals, and advertisements.
Where this is the case, we will take appropriate measures to protect your personal information in accordance with this Policy.
Sharing of Information
We may share the information we collect about you as described in this Policy or as described at the time of collection or sharing, including as follows:
Through Our Services
We may share your information:
- With other Users at their request, including shippers and carriers, or third parties at the request of shippers or carriers. For instance we may share your name, personal photo, vehicle photo, vehicle license, vehicle make and model, precise or approximate location, and certain contact information (depending upon your location and applicable laws) with shippers and carriers at their request, or with third parties at the request of the shippers and carriers;
- With other people, as directed by you, in connection with a particular service, offering or promotion; or with third parties to provide you a service you requested through a partnership or promotional offering made by a third party or us;
- With the general public if you submit content in a public forum, such as blog comments, social media posts, or other features of the Services that are viewable by the general public; and
- With third parties with whom you choose to let us share information, for example other apps or websites that integrate with our API or Services, or those with an API or Service with which we integrate.
Other Important Sharing
We may share your information:
- With Uber Freight subsidiaries and affiliated entities, including Uber, that provide services or conduct data processing on our behalf, or for data centralization and / or logistics purposes;
- With vendors, consultants, marketing partners, and other service providers who need access to such information to carry out work on our behalf;
- In response to a request for information by a competent authority if we believe disclosure is in accordance with, or is otherwise required by, any applicable law, regulation, ordinance, license, operating agreement, or legal process;
- With law enforcement officials, government authorities, or other third parties if we believe your actions are inconsistent with our user agreements or policies, or to protect the rights, property, or safety of Uber Freight or others;
- In connection with, or during negotiations of, any merger, sale of company assets, consolidation or restructuring, financing, or acquisition of all or a portion of our business by or into another company;
- If we otherwise notify you and you consent to the sharing; and
- In an aggregated and/or anonymized form which cannot reasonably be used to identify you.
Social Sharing Features
The Services may integrate with social sharing features and other related tools which let you share actions you take on the Services with other apps, sites, or media, and vice versa. Your use of such features enables the sharing of information with others, depending on the settings you establish with the social sharing service. Please refer to the privacy policies of those social sharing services for more information about how they handle the data you provide to or share through them.
Analytics and Advertising Services Provided by Others
You may correct your account information at any time by logging into your online or in-app account. If you wish to cancel your account, please email us at email@example.com. Please note that in some cases we may retain certain information about you as required by law, or for legitimate business purposes to the extent permitted by law. For instance, if you have a standing credit or debt on your account, or if we believe you have committed fraud or violated our terms of service, we may seek to resolve the issue before deleting your information.
Access, Correction and Deletion Rights
Uber Freight will comply with an individual’s requests regarding access, correction, and/or deletion of the personal data it stores in accordance with applicable law.
We request permission for our app’s collection of precise location from your device (whether your own device or otherwise) per the permission system used by your mobile operating system. If you initially permit the collection of this information, you can later disable it by changing the location settings on your mobile device. However, you will not be able to use the Services if you disable our collection of precise location data. Additionally, disabling our collection of precise location from your device will not limit our ability to derive approximate location from your IP address.
We may also seek permission for our app’s collection and syncing of contact information from your device per the permission system used by your mobile operating system. If you initially permit the collection of this information, iOS users can later disable it by changing the contacts settings on your mobile device. Some Android devices may not provide such a setting.
You may opt out of receiving promotional messages from us by following the instructions in those messages. If you opt out, we may still send you non-promotional communications, such as those about your account, about Services you have requested, or our ongoing business relations.
Cookies and Advertising
Please refer to the Cookie Statement for more information about your choices around cookies and related technologies.
Changes to the Policy
We may change this Policy from time to time. Your continued use of the Services after such change constitutes your consent to the changes. We encourage you to periodically review this Policy for the latest information on our privacy practices.
If you have any questions about this Statement, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.